When it comes to curling your hair, it does indeed involve a lot of time and effort. Yes, straight hair without doubt are one of the easiest hairstyles to achieve as you can do it in no time and without much effort, but adding a bit of curl to the hair makes all the difference.
Most women have the same problems when it comes to curling their hair, using the right tools and method is definitely one of them. There are many curls you could try out, from rag curls to beach waves, soft bouncy curls to zig-zag curls, vintage retro waves and more, but how do you create at home is the question. And, this is why we’ve gathered together 30 different ways to get the curls you want along with the right tools and method.
Curling your hair tips? Always use a heat protectant product before placing that curling tool on your hair!
Soft Bouncy Curls With Curling Iron
Apply heat protectant spray to the hair and blow-dry the hair straight or by using a straightening iron. For those with super straight hair, make sure to use hairspray in each section and let it dry before using the curling iron.
Section the hair from the ear down and secure with a hair tie or clip. Take a medium size piece of hair and start curling your hair with a curling iron by simply wrapping the hair around the barrel starting as close to the roots as possible.
Wrap the hair around the barrel outwards, and hold it for about 8 seconds for a tighter curl effect.
Take out the hair tie and do the same with the upper part of the hair you sectioned earlier by curling the hair using the same technique.
Let the hair cool down for a bit first then brush the hair out for a soft bouncy curl look.
Party Proof Curls With Curling Iron
Hold the curling iron vertically near your temple, and clamp it to the 1-inch section of the hair closet to your face. Rotate the barrel outwards and hold for 5 seconds.
Once released roll the section you just curled around your finger and secure with a bobby pin, (it doesn’t need to neat).
Now repeat the two steps above but twisting the barrel towards your face.
Once finished curling and pinning your hair, spritz the whole head with hairspray all over.
Remove all the bobby pins after 5 minutes, and rake your fingers through your hair. Once you’ve styled your hair to how you want it, finish with a spritz of hairspray to set.
Faux-Marcel Waves With Flat Iron
Section your hair horizontally from ear to ear.
Take a horizontal section of your hair and straighten a few inches the hair in a bending motion.
Straighten next few inches of the hair but this time bend the flat iron in the opposite direction.
Curling your hair with a flat iron, continue this pattern down the strand of hair and turn the flat iron 180 degrees every inches.
Rake your fingers through your hair to loosen the curls and spritz hairspray all over to set.
Soft, Easy Waves With Flat Iron
Blow-dry your hair roughly and apply a prep product to give it extra hold, if you have very thick hair use a volumizing product instead.
Star braiding your hair into two braids – one on each side. Backcomb the ends instead of using a hair tie to secure.
Clamp the flat iron on the braids to set the hair.
Hold the iron for 5 seconds then move down the hair making sure each hold is the same amount of time for each clamp.
Rake your fingers through your hair to loosen the curls and apply hairspray all over the hair to set.
Soft Messy Waves Without Heat
Have you ever tried curling your hair without heat? Here’s how to achieve this laid-back, soft messy waves look. Spray conditioning spray to damp hair and brush it straight. The flip the head over and work curling mousse into the hair, and section the hair into two equal sections.
Begin twisting small pieces of hair outwards, making sure that each twist is super tight, pull it taut then hold it for a few seconds. Once the whole head is done leave it set for 15-20mins, then go through each section and give it another twist to tighten it up.
Once the hair is completely dry, run your fingers through the hair to shake it out then spritz some salt spray to finish.
Zig-Zag Curls With Flat Iron
Working in horizontal sections, part your hair from ear to ear. Taking the first section, form the hair into an S-shaped then bend and clamp the flat iron onto the hair to set.
Continue step one, working from top to bottom until the whole head is done.
When you’ve set all the S-shaped waves shake it out with your fingers.
To finish and for extra volume, gently tease the ends with a wide-tooth comb. Voila!
Begin by applying a firm-hold styling gel to damp hair and comb through. Create a deep-parting using the arch of your eyebrow as a guide.
Sweep your hair away from your part with your fingers and hold it above the arch of your eyebrow opposite the parting. Sweep the hair forward towards your eye using a comb and then back to the temple, creating a ‘C’ shape. Either use bobby pins or flat duckbill clips at the top and bottom of the ‘C’ to hold the waves in place.
Continue to set your hair by repeating the above step. Once you get to the jawline, take the loose hair and roll it up into a loop creating a pin curl. Secure with clip or bobby pin.
Mold the hair along your face in the same way on the opposite side of your head, ending in a pin curl.
Take sections of your hair at the back of your hair and loop it into pin curls, and secure with a clip.
Diffuse, air dry or set the curls with a little heat when you’ve created all the loose pin curls on the back of your head.
Take out all the clips and release all of the pin curls once the hair is dry and cool, but don’t remove the flat clips securing your ‘C’ shaped waves that are framing your face. Gently comb through the ends of your hair, the flat clips will ensure that you don’t pull out those ‘C’ shaped curls.
Remove the rest of the clips, and Voila!
Bouncy Heatless Curls With A Sock
Ditch the heat and give your hair a little love by curling your hair with a sock. Begin by sectioning your hair, taking the hair at the crown and leaving the sides and nape for later. Spritz your hair with some water to dampen it or run a wet comb through the hair.
Grab a clean sock and roll your hair around it starting at the ends.
Roll the sock up all the way up the hair, and stop just beneath the crown. Tie the sock in a knot to secure it, repeat the steps with other socks curling the hair along the nape and sides. Now you’re ready for bed.
Untie all the socks the next morning, then turn your head upside down and use your fingers to separate the curls.
Arrange and separate the curls, apply some frizz control products to smooth out the curls to finish. Done!
Soft Curls With Flat Iron
1. Apply heat protector to the hair and brush the hair out to get rid of any tangles.
2. Grab the flat iron and place it near the roots. Close the flat iron, rotate it once and pull it down all the through to the ends of the hair.
3. Use the other hand to hold the end of the hair to stop it from falling out from the flat iron.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the whole head is curled.
5. If your hair is only curling at the ends, try holding the iron longer near your roots to give it a little more time to curl.
6. If the ends of the hair isn’t curled enough or falls out of the flat iron, just give the ends and extra curl.
7. To finish, run the iron over your hair to soften the curls.
Beach Waves With Curling Iron
– To begin with, using an alligator clip create two-inch sections.
– Take one section and clip the rest of the hair aside.
– Apply some heat protector products to the section of hair you’re about to curl.
– Run the curling iron over end of the hair to make it smooth before you curl each section.
– Place the iron at the base of the hair, closest to the roots, and wrap the hair around the iron away from your face as you would want the hair to flow away from the face.
– Continue to curl the rest of your hair.
– Flip your head upside down to mess up the curls to give it the beach waves look.
Romantic Sleek Waves With Flat Iron
– Before you start curling your hair with a straightener, run the iron through the whole hair to get rid of any kinks.
– Now section your hair into two inch sections. Take one section and apply some volumizing product to the hair.
– Place the straightener at the base of the hair closest to the root, use the iron and twist the hair around the outside of the iron, leaving the ends out. Hold it in place for about a minute.
– Release the hair and repeat steps 2 and 3 throughout your hair.
– To finish, give the hair a spritz of the volumizing spray all-over.
– Grab a wide tooth comb to smooth down any curls.
Sexy Curls With Wand
Take a small section of the hair from the bottom, then hold the wand downwards and curl the hair backwards on the iron.
Hold it there for no more than 10 seconds as you don’t want to burn your hair, then just let it fall off from the wand.
Hold the curl up in your hand whilst it’s still hot, then let it fall.
Continue curling your hair until the whole left side is done.
Onto the right side, grab a piece of hair then take the wand a place it upside down.
Now curl the hair backwards on the wand with your left hand.
Hold it there for about 5 seconds and release it from the wand. Hold the curl up in your hand then let go like before. Repeat these steps til the whole of the bottom section is curled.
To do the top section, take off the clip and section the top into two.
Take a small piece of your hair and point the wand upside down, and wrap the hair backwards around the wand. Then do the same on the right side.
Release the last curl from the wand.
Shake out the curls to give it more volume.
Re-curl any pieces that needs more curl with the wand, then grab a comb.
Use the comb to backcomb the ends, middle and roots.
To finish spray the whole hair with a spritz of hairspray to hold.
Youtube video via. Sierra Dallas
Victoria’s Secret Curls With A Curling Iron & Rollers
Video Tutorial via. Daceyhapa Youtube
If you don’t have time to wash your hair, this is the perfect hairstyle to try out. It gives your hair extra volume and makes you look super sexy in no time.
– Spray the hair near to the roots with dry shampoo, then massage it in.
– Brush your hair to get rid of any tangles.
– Part the hair down the middle.
– Take the top crown section give it a brush, spritz it with some heat protecting products. Before you begin curling your hair with rollers, you need to grab a 1 and 1/2 inch curling iron and curl the hair outwards, just to give the hair some heat and a slight curl.
– Get a roller, place it on the end of the hair and roll the roller towards your head, then secure with a bobby pin.
– Doing the same thing, take the next section of hair and heat it on the iron. Release the curl and place it on the roller, secure it in place with a bobby pin. Repeat these steps until the whole of the top crown section is done.
– Onto the front section, take horizontal pieces then divide it into two pieces. Take the back part of the front first, heat it on the curling iron and wrap the hair around the roller. Secure with a bobby pin. Now do the same with the front part of the two piece section.
– Now you only have the lower part of the hair to do. Take a section of the hair from the lower part and heat it on the curling iron like before, but this time just go half way up the hair to create more body. Do the same with the roller, only take it half way up the hair and secure with a bobby pin. Repeat this step until the whole of the lower section has been set with rollers.
– Wait until the whole hair is completely cool (approx 15-20mins), then start taking all the rollers out of the hair.
– Once you’ve taken the rollers out, run a brush through the hair then run your fingers and flick the hair to bring back all the volume. Finish with a hairspray to hold the curls.
Soft Vintage Waves With Curling Iron
– Section the hair into two parts.
– Starting from the bottom section, take a small piece of hair, open the curling iron and curl it outwards around the iron and clamp the hair, leaving the ends out.
– Repeat step 2 until the whole of the bottom section is curled.
– Do the same with the top section of the hair as you did with the bottom section.
– Once the whole hair is curled, set with hairspray all over.
– Use a comb to brush the curls out and to give it extra volume and body.
– Grab the curling iron and curl the ends, this time you want to take the towards you.
– Tease the ends and the middle part to finish.
Rolled Out Of Bed Beach Waves With Curling Iron
Pick pieces of your hair from the front, and wrap it around the barrel for a few seconds.
Take sections from of your hair from the top layer to curl. This is just for texture not for full on waves.
Spritz the whole hair with a salt spray to add body.
Run your fingers throughout the hair, scrunch it up for the messy rolled out of bed look.
You’re ready to go!
Easy Imperfect Waves With Flat Iron
To achieve the simple and easy imperfect waves, just simply braid your hair and heat it up by pressing a flat iron over it. Done!
1940s Vintage Waves With Curling Iron
– Create a defined parting on either side that suits you.
– Use a large curling iron and curl all of your hair inward towards your face. Clip the curls in place with large setting clips. Spray hairspray all over the hair to set.
– Leave the curls to set and cool for at least 15 minutes.
– Once the whole hair has cooled, gently pull the clips out and let your hair fall.
– Use a flat or paddle brush, brush your hair back and away from your face. The wave pattern will appear automatically so just keep brushing until it shows up. Help it along by molding the waves where you want them by hand and give the hair a spray with hairspray to set. Voila!
Natural Looking Curls – Air Dry & Wand
Wash your hair and comb it out in the shower when you’re rinsing the conditioner out. Avoid brushing your hair after drying it with a towel. Doing this will help create a natural wavy pattern. Create a parting if needed.
Apply a small amount of curl enhancing serum to the hair and just let your hair or dry naturally before bed.
The next morning, you want to add some extra volume and body to the hair. To do this curl the hair using a wand. Just wrap small pieces of hair back and away from the face all over the head.
Rag Curls The Heatless Way
Using a spray bottle, dampen the ends of your hair which you want plan to roll. Take a section of hair and twist it around the piece of fabric.
Tie the fabric in place and continue doing this until the entire bottom section is rolled.
Leave the fabric strips in overnight.
The next morning, all you have to do is just remove all the fabric strips from the hair. Done! Now just style your heatless rag curls however you want.
Polished Curls With Curling Iron
– Begin by parting your hair into four sections.
– Take the first section from the bottom, start curling from the middle of the hair and move the iron down to the ends, curling the hair away from the face.
– Moving onto section 2, make sure that you’re taking the hair back away from your face.
– Now curl section 3.
– Curl section 4 the last section, then go in with the curling iron for any adjustments.
– To finish, spray the whole hair with hairspray to set.
Retro Waves For Short Hair With Curling Iron
Begin with air-dried hair, separate your hair so you can work with small thin sections.
Grab a small barrel curling iron, hold it horizontally and curl the section of hair under.
Release the iron, and wrap the curl around your finger whilst it’s still hot and pin it up against your head. Do this throughout the whole hair, leaving out a section of your hair around the hairline.
To curl the front, using the same technique but curl the hair back away from the face, rather than under.
Do the same as before, release the curl into your hand from the curling iron and wrap it back into the same direction you curled it as.
Once the whole head is curled, spritz the curls with some dry shampoo to set as well as giving it a lighter and more natural hold.
Remove the pins after a few minutes, shake out the curls and spray texturing spray all over the hair.
Lightly brush out the curls with a boar-bristle brush. In small sections, use a comb to backcomb a few of the bends in the curls for texture and to emphasize the curls.
To finish, give the whole head a spray of hairspray to hold your brushed-out waves. You’re ready to go!
3 Minute Curls With Curling Iron
– Pull your hair back into a high ponytail, secure with a hair tie.
– Separate the ponytail into four sections, and curl each section with a 1-inch curling iron. Make sure that you curl the hair away from the head.
– Leave the curls to cool and set.
– Once the curls have cooled, gently brush out the curls and spray the whole head with a hairspray to set. Done.
Heatless Bombshell Curls
Get these sexy curls in a few easy steps! Let’s begin!
Comb through your hair to get rid of any knots and tangles.
Section the hair into two parts, tie the top part with a hair tie.
Grab a small section of hair.
Wrap the hair around the roller away from the face going outwards, then roll the roller all the way up and bend both sides of the roller inwards to fasten.
Repeat the same technique. Take a small section on the right side curl it around the roller in an outward direction so the hair is away from the face. Do this until the whole of the bottom section is curled.
Onto the top part of the hair, take out the head tie and section it split into two parts. Secure the front part of the top section with a head tie.
Begin with the back part of the top section. Using the same technique as before, apply the rollers to the hair curling away from the face, repeat the same process with the front part of the top section until the whole head is curled.
Spray the whole head with some water.
Wrap the your head with a scarf and leave it in overnight. The next morning take of the scarf.
Gently take all the rollers out from the hair.
Once you’ve taken all the rollers out, check to see if there are any bits of the hair that didn’t curl properly, curl with a curling iron or wand to put the curls back if needed.
Use your fingers to shake out the curls, then gently brush the curls with a paddle brush.
Shake the curls with your fingers again, then apply some mousse for curly hair to the hair to tame down the frizz and to define the curls.
Create a parting, then apply a few drops of Moroccan oil to the hair for shine.
With a wide-toothed comb, comb through the ends for a more polished look. Done!
Flat To Full With Rollers & Curling Iron
– Apply a volumizer to the roots of your hair and blow-dry your hair upside down.
– Pull the hair back into a bun, let the hair cool while you do your make up.
– Take the hair down once it’s cooled. Apply velcro rollers to the centre section of the hair, make sure you roll backwards away from the head.
– Use a i-inch curling iron, curl the remainder of the hair all the way around the iron and set with a bobby pin or a flat clip.
– When the whole head is curled, leave to set for 5mins.
– Take all the clips out and just let the curls fall. Slowly pull out the rollers, then lightly brush the hair to give the hair extra volume and body.
– Curl the centre section of the hair where you applied with rollers so that it blends in with the rest of the hair. Curl up and back, wrapping the hair on the outside of the iron.
– Tease the crown a little with a comb.
– To finish, spray the whole head with hairspray to set.
Messy Curls For Short Hair With Curling Wand
Begin with straight hair, apply a heat protector spray to the whole hair. Take a small section of the hair and wrap it around the curling wand leaving out the ends. Curl the hair away from the face, going outwards.
After you’ve curled the whole head, go back with the wand to check if there’s any bit of the hair that didn’t curl. Brush the curls out gently so for a softer look.
Apply sea salt spray all over the hair and shake out the curls with your fingers as well as giving it a messy look. Complete!
Kim Kardashian’s Big Curls With Curling Iron
Youtube video via. MakeupWearables Hairstyles
– Apply a leave-in conditioner or oils to freshly washed hair.
– Comb the hair through, then apply a root lifting product to the hair.
– Flip your head upside down and blow-dry the hair from the roots to the ends.
– Use the cooler temperature on the blow-dryer to cool of the hair when it’s about 70% dry. Don’t dry the hair completely.
– Flip the hair back once it’s cool.
– Use a round brush to dry the crown and pin it up. Grab a large boar bristle brush on the hair around the face for shine and extra smoothness.
– Use a round brush to dry the rest of the hair. Only pin up the crown. Apply a setting lotion to the hair.
– Once the hair is completely dry, start sectioning off the hair.
– Use a 1 and half-inch curling iron to create big curls. Curl away from the face and pin them up. The bottom layer of your hair should be pinned down but not against your scalp.
– Allow the pin curls to curl for 5-10 mins.
– Remove the pins, flip your head upside down and apply some oil to finish.
Side Swept Vintage Curls With Curling Iron
Create a deep side parting. Take the hair and tuck it on the shallow side then sweep it across to one side.
Pin the hair across the back, a few inches behind your ear with bobby pins. Curl all of your side-swept hair towards your face using a 1-inch curling iron.
When you’ve curled all of your hair, gently brush out the curls to form a wave. Add some hair accessories if you prefer. Done.
Glam Curls With Curling Iron
– Begin by rough drying your hair, then create a defined side parting.
– Curl the opposite of the parting, the side with less hair. Take large sections and curl the hair towards the face.
– Continue curling the hair around the head, but limit the amount of curls at the crown.
– Brush out the curls gently after the whole head is curled with a boar bristle brush, and spray with hairspray.
– Now sweep your hair to the opposite side of your head, and pin it behind your ear with some bobby pins to secure.
– Spray hairspray all over the head to set.
Loose, Beautiful Curls With Curling Iron
Prep: Section your hair into parts, beginning with the bottom section. Create 3-4 sections of each section about 1″ x 2″. Spray the first sub-section with spray starch spray lightly and apply it to each piece of hair as you curl.
– Start curling and twisting the hair with the curling iron at the root.
– Release the curl from the iron into your hand and pin it with a clip.
– Continue doing this until the whole bottom section is curled, then move up through the entire head. Curl the front part away from the face.
– Leave the hair to set for 20 mins, spray lightly with hairspray all over the hair.
– Take out the pins from the bottom of the hair, keeping the curl intact as you go and spray with hairspray after all the pins have been taken out.
– Pull through the ends of your hair to soften and release the curls.
– Use the curling iron to adjust any curls that’s fallen out and you’re ready to go.
Glamorous Retro Waves With Curling Iron
– Begin with clean, dry hair.
– Now section the hair, take 2-3-inch pieces of hair and curl with a large curling iron.
– Release the curl from the curling iron and pin it whilst it’s still hot. Set with a setting spray.
– Leave the hair to cool for at least 15-20 mins.
– Release the curls by taking out all the pins.
– Use a shine cream and apply it to the hair to give the hair a light sheen and to bond the curls.
– Flip the hair upside down and run the cream through the hair.
– Back comb the roots to give the hair some volume.
– Pull all the hair to one side and cross pin it with some bobby pins to secure.
– Reinforce the curls by twisting them into their existing curl then smooth down. Done.