With spring on the horizon, it seems appropriate to begin our search for that perfect “in between” jacket; a steady combination of lightweight fabric and streetwise styling that will see us through to summer. This season, it is clear that we’re going on a fashionable safari, as the perfect in-between jacket is khaki in color and resilient in style: it’s an army jacket.
Balmain and Charlotte Ronson both included army jackets in their spring shows and several ahead-of-the-curve celebrities have been seen wearing army jackets. Kim Kardashian first tried the look back in July 2009, pairing hers with a floral jacket and gladiator sandals. Similarly, Kirsten Dunst (pictured) was recently seen in an army jacket, opting for a more demure look by pairing hers with a plain tee.
Whether you take your style cues from the shows, the stars or the street, you’re sure to find inspiration in our five buys below, so read on to see our favorite army jacket options.
1. Mini Parka ($110) from Topshop // Although Topshop have quite a range of army jackets available right now, we chose this particular parka for its brighter khaki color and its oversized color. We can see this working really well with a pair of leather skinny pants and lace-up ankle booties, or thrown over a floral romper and worn with leather sandals. The choices are endless!
2. Daytrip Canvas Jacket ($49.50) from Buckles // This canvas jacket is a great option for the girl who prefers a more tailored look. The trench-inspired waist belt will pull the jacket in, which gives a feminine, fitted effect. Complete the look by paring this with a high-waisted skirt and platform pumps for a look that is flirty and cool all at once.
3. Faux Fur Trimmed Parka ($115.38) from Asos // For those who prefer a longer option over a cropped jacket, this one is for you. This mid-length jacket is ideally paired with a dress of the same length. Add a pair of biker boots for an edgy look, or keep it lighthearted with a pair of cute ballet flats in a bright color.
4. Courtney Bomber ($49.50) from Delias // A bomber jacket is always a great way to add the cool factor to your outfit and this jacket is no exception. The elastic around the waist will give your outfit a slouchy, laid-back look. Wear this bomber jacket with a pair of distressed skinny jeans and add a pair of leather boots for a tough twist.
5. Desert Storm Cargo Jacket ($138) by Free People // With this jacket, it’s all about the lining. The bright orange on the inside adds a pop of color to your outfit and contrasts perfectly with the army green, so this jacket is best worn open. Pair it with cut-off denim shorts and a slouchy white tee shirt for a casual look that is understated and low key.
Please note that this post may contain one or more sponsored links. If you happen to shop using these links, Mama’s A Rolling Stone will receive a commission from the store.