If you have been faithfully perusing the latest offerings from the fashion gods, like I have, you probably have noticed the sudden influx of 80s-style bodysuits. While there was always an assortment of them on the body-friendly American Apparel site, it seems that the rest of the stores are playing a stylish game of catch-up.
Now that you have such a huge selection to choose from, it’s time to have some fun. The bodysuit is a pretty versatile little thing – you can tuck one into your cut-off shorts for a summer browsing the flea markets and drinking mimosas. In winter, the bodysuit is the perfect layering piece – wear a long-sleeved bodysuit under a black wool dress for a splash of color, or pair it with skinny jeans, thigh high boots and an oversized coat.
From 70s florals to 80s acid wash, this selection has a little something for everyone. One last tip: when you’ve had a few drinks (or a few too many) and you need to “go”, the bodysuit does not a pretty sight make!
Clockwise from top left:
1. Kimchi Blue Lace Bodysuit ($38) from Urban Outfitters. If you’re looking to add a little naughty to your night, this bodysuit is your first stop. With black lace making a comeback (did it ever leave?) earlier this year, this Kimchi Blue piece is perfectly on trend. Channel your inner-Erin Wasson and pair it with a loose-fitting, white tank top and a pair of denim cut-off shorts. Make sure you always have just the right amount of lace peeking out from under your top. Some sexy, messy bed-hair doesn’t hurt, either.
2. Splodge Floral Body ($40) from Topshop. Floral prints always bring to mind bohemian chic and this bodysuit is no exception. The designers at Topshop have given us a vivid violet hue covered in a painterly floral print. For an updated take on 70s boho, pair this with a black high-waisted skirt. In winter, think Chloe Sevigny in Balmain and pair it with black tights and ankle boots. A dash of red lipstick should complete the look.
3. Light Acid Denim Bodysuit (£30) from Miss Selfridge. Somewhere out there is a clever designer who managed to combine two huge trends into one with this offering – an acid wash, denim bodysuit from Miss Selfridge. If you prefer your style to have a little grunge, pair this bodysuit with a brightly-colored mini skirt – think neon prints and patterns. For a “less is more” look, add a slinky white tank top underneath the denim.
4. Panel One Shoulder Body ($44) from Topshop. Maybe it’s because it’s raining out, but this bodysuit instantly caught my eye with its bold colorblock print. Another bodysuit wonder from Topshop, this piece is great for the confident girl about town. Paired with a black mini skirt this might, from a distance, resemble a Hervé Léger-inspired bodycon dress. Personally, I’d wear this with a pair of black, wide-leg pants and a killer set of heels.
5. Metallic Leotard ($26.50) from Wet Seal. It’s too bad the 80s are over! The designers behind this metallic bodysuit from Wet Seal were clearly channeling Flashdance when they made this. What? You don’t want to pair this with leggings, ankle warmers and ballet flats? For a toned-down daytime look, this little piece looks great with a pair of black, cuffed shorts. Toughen it up with chunky black lace-up boots for some 80s edge.