Many of us worship at the altar of Chanel but not all of can afford to buy their legendary chain strap bags. Unless you spend hours perusing EBay hoping to be the one to find the bargain that everyone else missed, you are probably in the same camp as me. Until I can afford a Chanel, I’ve been on the hunt for a chain strap bag that will fill my needs.
While shopping online I discovered that the chain strap is huge right now; there’s a massive selection out there for those who are on the hunt. The real question you have to ask yourself is what size you need. If you’re out for the night, a clutch-sized bag is perfect for your part essentials: a cell phone, emergency makeup, cards and cash. If you’re spending the day shopping, an oversized tote bag will be able to hold your daily needs.
From classic black quilted styles to color blocks and studs, this selection has a bag to suit all budgets. Hey, you can never have too many chain bags – even while you keep holding on for the ‘real thing’.
1. Quilted Chain Strap Bag ($65) from Topshop. If you want a bag that is perfectly resembles a classic Chanel, this is the bag. A black handbag is an essential in every closet and this bag is perfectly on trend right now. Feed the Lauren Conrad in you and pair it with a pair of skinny jeans, a loose plaid, lumberjack shirt, black ballet flats and oversized sunglasses. Pull your hair back loosely and keep your makeup natural. In winter, swap the shirt for a cropped jacket and add a chunky knit scarf.
2. Corinne Mini Bag ($198) from Hayden-Harnett (pre-order now). A fun two-tone print always brings to mind the chic style seen in Europe and this bag is no exception. The designers at Hayden-Harnett have kept the focus on what’s important: neutral colors that can be paired with any outfit, on-trend studs to give you a bit of edge and a removable strap so you can use your bag as a wallet, when necessary. Think Kate Moss when you carry this bag and pair it with a grey, babydoll dress and black ballet flats.
3. Marc Jacobs “The Single” Metallic Leather Shoulder Bag ($525) from Nordstrom. If you are the sort of girl who likes to add a pop of color to your outfit, this bag is for you. While slightly more pricey than the rest of our finds, this bag is sure to outlast and will serve you well over the years. Pair this bag with a brightly-colored mini dress – think ethnic prints with a shade of blue. Tone it down during the day by adding a pair of leather sandals.
4. BCBGMAXAZRIA Ink Leather Colorblock Chain Shoulder Bag ($194) from Bluefly. If you are the travelling kind, you probably instantly recognized this bag as the perfect carry-on tote. This bag could fit all your in-flight necessities – magazines, passport and tickets. Paired with a comfortable cashmere sweater and a pair of loose-fit pants, you’ll be a chic traveler in no time. Tie a scarf around the handle for when you get chilly and you’ll be the most prepared jetsetter around.
5. Deux Lux Black Piper Messenger Clutch ($95) from Kitson Boutique. If you want studs, here they are. The designers behind this messenger clutch from Deux Lux were obviously keeping their eyes on the streets when they designed this bag. Paired with a floral summer dress, this bag will toughen up your look and give you that edge you’ve been looking for. Toughen it up further with some chunky lace-up boots.