As we approach winter, the hunt for the perfect coat becomes a little more desperate. What better time, then, to present you with a selection of faux fur coats that will keep you warm and cozy through the season and see you through the darkest winter days?
The rise of faux fur over fur in the past few years has been well-documented. Stars like Christina Ricci, feeling the pressure of PETA’s successful anti-fur campaigns, have renounced the use of animal fur and sworn to go faux. Even Rachel Zoe, known for her love of real fur, has released a line of faux fur garments with QVC.
Further cementing PETA’s influence on the use of fur in fashion, supermodels and designers like Christy Turlington and Sadie Frost have appeared nude for PETA’s “I’d Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur” campaigns.
Although we truly believe that the modern, fashion-forward girl should always go faux, we’re not here to preach. Simply put, we love the selection of faux fur coats on the market and, ethical or not, we wanted to showcase them. When you look at the five buys below, one thing is certain – the quality of faux fur on the market today is almost as good as the real thing.
From Topshop’s huge array of 80s-inspired multicolored furs to the on trend, leopard print coat from ModCloth, our selections run the gamut of trends. Although we know our budgets can’t afford it, we would prefer to cozy up to all five of these this winter season and we’re pretty sure, once you take a look, you’re going to feel the same.
1. Diamond Faux Fur Jacket ($98) from Arden B // A variant on your typical bomber jacket, our eyes were immediately drawn to the diamond-pattern faux fur on this jacket. With an attached hood with satin lining, this jacket is sure to keep you warm through winter. Paired with a simple white dress, black tights and pumps, this dress adds a little edge to a party outfit. For a more casual look, we think it would be amazing when worn with layered tees, a pair of jeans and ballet flats.
2. Belted Jacket ($99, reduced from $149) from Fabulous Furs // The go-to place if you want to do some major faux fur shopping, Fabulous Furs offers up this snug and inviting jacket. The distressed leather paired with the faux fur trim give you a look that screams biker chic and the overall effect is pretty similar to this Alexander McQueen Fur-Trim Biker Jacket ($5,995) without the hefty price tag.
3. Foxy Loxy Brown Fur (£90) by Motel // A super-soft, shaggy coat is an absolute necessity for any collector of faux fur. This brown coat from Motel has a fur collar that can be pulled up to keep your neck warm and stretchy bomber-style cuffs to keep your arms snug. We’re pretty sure that if the Olsen twins wore faux fur, this would be their coat – wear it with a pair of skinny jeans and knee-high biker boots for a stylish take on the Olsen’s style.
4. Smitten Kitten Coat ($89.99) from ModCloth // Leopard print is a huge trend this Fall/Winter season and this cute coat from ModCloth is the perfect way to kill two trends with one stone. When you wear a coat like this, the focus is on the leopard print so this look isn’t for the faint-of-heart. Keep the attention on the coat by pairing it with something simple like a black dress or a pair of jeans and a sweater.
5. Pom Pom Faux Fur Duffle Coat ($160) from Topshop // Perfect for the girl who loves the bohemian look, this coat should be worn with all manner of flirty, floral dresses, wide-leg jeans and ethnic-print tops. We can totally see a starlet like Zoe Kravitz wearing a coat like this. Try adding a vintage bag and a flapper-style gold headband to your ensemble for a luxe take on the 70s.