Ever since the Olsen twins became legal adults, they have been leading the pack when it comes to fashion. As always, they don’t disappoint when it comes to one of fall’s best and most coveted trends, and the subject of September’s 5 Buys, the fur vest.
This trend started to make its way onto the style stage way back in 2004, when Sienna Miller’s character, Nikki, wore a rabbit fur gilet in Alfie. Soon, Sienna was showing us how it was done off screen, pairing her gilet with everything from a leather jacket and skinny jeans in winter, to a shabby chic maxi dress in summer. Soon, a number of celebrities were seen taking on the fur vest, from Mischa Barton to Kate Moss.
When Ashley Olsen first rocked the fur vest back in 2007, the fashion world took notice and a trend was born.
The latest culprit? Over the last year, stylist to the stars, Rachel Zoe, has been hitting the spotlight more and more and her signature piece, the fur vest, has come along for the ride.
Now, in 2009, the fur vest trend is an absolute must-have in any fashionista’s closet. From brightly-colored crimson fur to neutral tones like grey, cream and black, the fur vest is the perfect item to add to your fall/winter wardrobe.
1. Two Tone Mongolian Gilet ($180) from Topshop. If you want a fur vest that adds a pop of color to your outfit, this is the one. Mary Kate Olsen was photographed in Elle magazine wearing a purple Mongolian vest. For a similar style, pair it with a long-sleeve black dress or a black blazer and skinny pants. Add a pair of pumps and you are ready to go.
2. Faux Fur Cropped Vest ($98) from Bebe. The designers at Bebe have kept it simple, with a leatherette back and a cropped style, making this vest the perfect piece for anyone who wants a more toned-down look. This vest is ideal for layering and looks great over a simple white tee. A black bandage skirt or grey jeans will finish off your outfit.
3. Glimmer Faux Fur Vest ($318) by Joie. If you want to try a fur vest that mimics the Olsen twins, this is the vest for you. While slightly pricier than our first two finds, this vest is the ultimate styling piece. Pair this vest with a black sweater and blue skinny jeans. For the ultimate take on Ashley’s style, add a vintage scarf to complete the look.
4. Faux Fur Vest ($294) by A Common Thread. If you prefer a more avant-garde look, you might like this fur vest. From the front, it might appear simple, but the back is where things get fun. Featuring straps that cross over at the back, this vest is something that you would see on style mavens like Sienna Miller. Do as Sienna does and pair it with a bohemian maxi dress and ethnic sandals.
5. Mongolian Lamb Fur Vest ($795) by Vince. If you want decadence, here it is. The designers behind this gorgeous vest from Vince were obviously trying to make us broke when they designed this vest. Paired with a black bandage dress and ankle boots, this vest will add a little edge to your outfit, even if it does come at a price.