The next few weeks, from Christmas through to New Years, are likely to be party central for many of you fun-loving fashionistas. What better time, then, to put forward some of our favorite party dresses for the holiday season – a selection that will make you the life of the party.
Many of the major trends for Fall/Winter 2009 – from cut-outs to sharp shoulders to daytime metallics – are the ideal touches to look for when you start your search for a party dress. Take Kate Hudson, for example – the vintage Versace dress that she donned recently for the American Music Awards was perfectly on trend, with its metallic chainmail fabric adding just the right amount of glitz.
As always, Kate deftly mixes her silver party dress with a set of low-key accessories – a simple bracelet and ring, small earrings, swept-back hair and a petite clutch. Take a cue from Kate and let your dress stand out from the rest of your outfit by keeping your accessories minimal.
When it comes to choosing the perfect party dress, we recommend sticking with what you know – if you’re comfortable with all-out sequins, go for it. If you’re a girl who already prefers black, find a classic black bandage dress with some extra glitz that will show you off without making you feel uncomfortable.
From a body-hugging bandage dress to a feminine and flirty 50s-style dress, we’ve picked out the perfect dresses for every style and every budget. One more thing: there’s no harm in buying more than one – after all, you’ll want a different dress for each party, right? We know we do.
1. Mesh Party Dress ($24.80) from Forever21 // We picked this dress for three stand-out reasons: its budget-friendly price, its pop of violet color and its feminine shape. It certainly doesn’t hurt that the violet embellishments on the bust comes in a glitzy metallic fabric that adds an on trend touch to the dress. Because of the added detail, this dress is best when paired with simple black tights and platform pumps. A black clutch and loose, wavy curls will set off the dress perfectly.
2. Sequin Lace Dress ($110) from Topshop // The shape and style of this dress is reminiscent of the fifties, with the tight bodice and flared skirt. The lace overlay, complete with a smattering of sequins, are a classy way for the girl who likes a classic look to add some glamour. Pair this dress with sky-high black heels and, if you’re really daring, elbow-length gloves for a stunning, Hepburn-esque look.
3. Noir Dress ($78) by Silence & Noise // This dress managed to tick off three major Fall/Winter 2009 trends. One-shoulder? Tick. Mesh cut-outs? Tick. Super-tight bandage shape? Tick. We can see plenty of young celebrities wearing this dress but Sienna Miller instantly springs to mind. For a stylish take on Sienna’s style, throw a faux-fur capelet over this dress and add a pair of lace-up, patent platform booties. Keep your hair long and loose for a look that is all about London cool.
4. Confetti Sequin Mesh Slip Dress ($78) by Free People // Gold sequins are bold and brazen and are sure to give you the confidence to be the life of the party. One of our favorite things about this dress is the way it can turn from a slinky party dress to a flirty tunic on command. Simply pair it with leggings and ballet flats for a daytime look, then whip off the leggings for a nighttime look that will wow the crowd.
5. Peek-a-Boo Party Dress ($89.25, reduced from $119) by Bebe // Like #3, this dress has several on-trend qualities about it. However, for something a little different, this dress has draped styling which will accentuate the curves of the wearer and show off the body beautifully. We love how it has been styled with a sequin beret, a la Rachel Zoe, so we recommend running with this look, while adding a cluster of chunky gold cuffs to your wrists.
Please note that this post may contain one or more sponsored links. If you happen to shop using these links, Mama’s A Rolling Stone will receive a commission from the store.