This is the second part of my list of the best celebrity style of 2008. The list had to be split into two, so this is the list of the best “candid” style of 2008.
There is only one person who has made it onto both lists, Chloe Sevigny, which only proves how fashionable the girl is.
1. Alexa Chung: While I was living in London, Alexa Chung was among the pages of every newspaper or magazine I bought but I didn’t really pay much attention to her. In fact, for a long time I thought she was a bit drab. However, during 2008, I began to notice her a little bit and I began to really like her sense of style. Whether it is throwing in a doctor bag or pairing an ethnic-patterned sweater dress with simple flats, she always manages to convince me she knows exactly what she’s doing while keeping it really simple and chic.
2. Alice Dellal: While flicking through pictures of Alice last night, my boyfriend couldn’t believe his ears when I said she was a model. Admittedly, Alice Dellal is not your average girl. She has shaved one side of her head and has a Jerry Hall-style flick on the other side. She wears a nose ring, giant leather studded vests, sometimes goes without a skirt or trousers. What more do I need to say?! She’s unique and that is a rare thing these days. While not classically beautiful, she is certainly striking.. I always am quite compelled by her photos, whether it is her latest outfit or just her face and her confidence. I love the fact that even when she dresses up she wears a slightly-scuffed leather skirt.
3. Chloe Sevigny: The girl can do no wrong. When she’s trawling the streets in super-high denim shorts, it makes me think I can get away with super-high denim shorts. When she wears a strapless black romper and wedges, I think I can wear them. What’s not to love about Chloe? She inspires women the world over to wear whatever they want. Unfortunately, we don’t all have Chloe’s body or looks to help us along. Chloe makes the list because she’ll probably always make the list.. I can’t imagine a year going by without an amazing outfit from Chloe.
4. Helena Christensen: Before Sienna or even Kate, Helena Christensen was showing us how to work the bohemian look. Without ever looking overdone or like she is trying too hard, she goes from a night-time look of sequin skirt and blazer with a studded clutch to a daytime look of sweater, ethnic scarf and cropped pants. Her messy, rock-chic hair is always perfectly undone for her offbeat and quirky look. Key essentials: blazers, pendant necklaces, small clutches and simple, coloured flats.
5. Julia Restoin-Roitfeld: Let’s just say that if I could trade places for a day, it’d probably be with Julia Restoin-Roitfeld. I don’t think I need to say why. Although she has access to one of the world’s most-envied wardrobes, she is often found in vintage and up and coming designers. She can go from a breezy blouse and shorts to a gorgeous white lace dress with leather jacket for a night out. It would be very hard to grow up knowing that the world expects you to be fashionable because of her lineage. I don’t think she has disappointed.
6. Kate Bosworth: Kate Bosworth has flown under the radar for me for quite a while. I’ve noticed her but not really noticed her. In 2008 I started to find myself saving more and more pictures of her. I think I most appreciate the fact that she quietly tries new trends and sees what works for her, until suddenly you realise she’s been wearing those red Chloe boots for the last three months and you’ve only just caught on, like, where did they come from!? Ever the Californian girl, she can work an all-black look without looking back, showing how versatile she can be.
7. Lou Doillon: Gorgeous Lou. I remember seeing Lou Doillon for the first time in Elle about four years ago and falling in love a little. She never fails to impress me. I love how she will wear a roughed-up country look, like her scuffy boots and earthy jeans but then shift to a classic pair of wide leg pants and tank. Her messy hair and her long legs only aid her look. She even gets away with wearing fluoro yellow without a single fashion critic breathing down her neck. Want the Lou look? Invest in leather jackets, various pre-scuffed boots, tight dresses and a pack of Marlboros.
8. Michelle Williams: Michelle first caught my eye a few years back when she wore that yellow dress to the Oscars. Ever since then I’ve kept my eye on her, mostly because she gives me great ideas as to how one can wear an outfit if you have two seconds to put something together and you are really bored of thinking about fashion. Follow Michelle: if you are just wearing jeans and a button-up shirt, add a pair of suspenders for a quick fashion fix! Want the grunge look without any effort? Just throw a plaid shirt over your t-shirt and you are halfway there. It strikes me that Michelle is trying to be as unnoticed as possible, but we just can’t help going back!
9. Vanessa & Victoria Traina: These socialite sisters have the money to spend on fashion and it seems they use it wisely. Not content with just wearing clothes, they both try different looks and are nearly always ahead of the game. Victoria (right) is the more outlandish of the two, as seen by her unique twist on the current harem trouser trend, wearing them in leather! I find Victoria’s look generally more appealing though I’d be more likely to wear what Vanessa wears. Vanessa (left) has a more bohemian look, generally, though here she is trying a rock & roll look out and it works for her, with her natural beauty and no make-up look.
10. Zoe Kravitz: I’ve already blogged about Zoe once but I keep going back for more. Though I think she sometimes gets it really wrong, by wearing ratty clothes that are just not clean, I think for the most part she gets it really right. She has this haute hippie style that I really love… Satin headbands, long wooden beads, chunky rings and fur coats. She changes her hairstyle regularly, going from long flowing hair to short, punky hair. If you want Zoe’s look, find yourself a fur coat and some cute mini dresses and you’ll be on your way.