The Best Fashion Designer Looks of 2008 is a list I have been mentally compiling for the past few weeks. I always like to keep a folder on my computer where I store the best looks from all the collections. These are just a few of my favourite fashion designer looks for this year.
1. Proenza Schouler, Spring 2008 RTW: The simplicity of this outfit, topped with the ridiculous hat, is what drew me to this look. It is actually slightly reminiscent of everything Sass & Bide have done (while I admire them, their styling is slightly static at this point). I love the plain black, high waisted skirt with the ethnic-print top, topped off with the London Bobby vs Ostrich hat.
2. Roberto Cavalli, Spring 2008 RTW: Every time I see this picture I think of the half-man, half-horse creature in The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe. These fringed pants are craaazy. I’m not sure if I could ever, ever pull these off, but I love the overall look of fringed pants + lacy, poet dress.
3. Balmain, Spring 2008 RTW: The tie-dye look was big this year. I managed to pick up a couple of similar, hippie, flimsy pieces of clothing along the way. I love how this dress takes the maxi-dress trend of 2007 and brings it into 2008. The bright pink and purple, the huge embellished silver flowers. This would probably look ridiculous off the runway – if I wore it, I’d look like some crazed, washed-out beach hippie who makes all my own clothes.
4. Fendi, Fall 2008 RTW: I first paid attention to Fendi this year when Kate Bosworth wore their black and white fur. I also love this chunky knit from their Fall RTW collection, paired with the fur skirt. I couldn’t actually bring myself to wear real fur, ever, but this outfit brings me mighty close.
5. Miu Miu, Spring 2008 RTW: I would probably give my right foot for a bold red cape like this. As for the second picture, I adore this modern-flamenco look with the huge skirt and the bright red lips.
6. Etro, Spring 2008 RTW: It was actually pretty hard for me to pick my favourite looks from Etro. I have saved nearly their entire collection. I’m slightly in awe of their crazy, neon bohemian styles. The first look, on Agyness Deyn? I love the bright, printed skirt with the Moroccan coin belt, striped shirt and army jacket. There’s just nothing I don’t love about it. The fringed gladiators in the third picture? Love them. My fashion designer aspirations are MORE THAN inspired by Etro.
7. Anna Sui, Spring 2008 RTW: I am also inspired by Anna Sui. I don’t think it gets much better than Anna Sui. I love the prints, the accessories, everything about her. From a distance that third picture looks like the Kate Moss pansy dress.. hmm.
8. Balenciaga, Resort 2008: I saw a picture recently of Jennifer Connelly wearing some Balenciaga, though I think it was from a 2007 collection. When I raced to check out their resort collection, I found this little gem! I love the black and white floral with the black and white gladiators. It’s tough and crazy and hard to look at.
9. LAMB, Spring 2008 RTW: I haven’t paid much attention to LAMB for various reasons. It has nothing to do with Gwen being a celebrity designer – I figure you should take every opportunity you can get in life, even if it is handed to you on a plate. It doesn’t mean she doesn’t work hard. I actually think she’s incredibly talented as a designer. This particular outfit.. it wasn’t really the dress that did it for me, it was more the styling – the way she paired it with these rasta-coloured shoes.
10. Alexander Wang, Fall 2008 RTW: Of course! Would my list be complete without a small victory for Alexander Wang, the current designer du jour? I’m not sure I like how much black and grey he uses, but I love the zippered mini (who doesn’t?) so he gets added to the list for that alone. Paired with the chain-handled bag that is reminiscent of Chanel.. and I’d love to get my hands on a Chanel.. so really.. what don’t I want from this outfit?
All images from Style.com