Our second annual Best Of series wraps up today with our final feature: a look back at the models that we loved in 2009. After yesterday’s Best Of: Fashion Designers 2009 feature showcased the clothes, we thought it only fair to salute the ladies who make those clothes look so fabulous. Our picks below include some of the hardest working girls in fashion, as well as some of the biggest surprises and freshest faces of 2009.
1. Natalia Vodianova: Although Russian model Natalia Vodianova officially retired from the runway in 2008, she was one of the hardest-working models in 2009. She signed on as the brand ambassador for French lingerie company Edam and was spotted on a bevy of covers, including US Vogue, UK Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar UK (above). All this, plus three kids make her a model to admire.
2. Miranda Kerr: Aussie model Miranda Kerr continued her duties as a Victoria’s Secret Angel in 2009, as well as launching an organic skincare line, Kora, in Australia. However it was her turn on the Balenciaga catwalk that had everyone talking – Kerr walked the runway for Balenciaga’s Spring 2010 show in Paris, turning a few heads in the process!
3. Lara Stone: Where do we even start with Lara Stone? Hailed as the Model of the Year by British Vogue, the Dutch model appeared on the covers of US Vogue, Vogue Paris and W Magazine, as well as ousting Madonna as the face of Louis Vuitton. As the unwitting postergirl for a healther modeling industry, she has Karl Lagerfeld’s approval: “Lara Stone has a gorgeous woman’s body.”
4. Heidi Klum: Although Heidi Klum continued to host Project Runway in 2009, she also made an appearance on a CBS special and ventured into web-based videos on Spiked Heel: Supermodels Battle the Forces of Evil. After giving birth to her fourth child, Klum declined to walk and was set to host the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. However, she surprised the crowds with a turn on the runway to raucous applause.
5. Karlie Kloss: Although she is only seventeen, Karlie Kloss managed to rack up more Vogue editorials than any other model in 2009, making her one of the freshest faces of the year. She’s a darling at US Vogue, with both Anna Wintour and Grace Coddington taking her under their wing. Coddington says of Kloss: “She’s just totally willing to do anything. She’s brave, she’s always in a good mood, and she’s beautiful.”
6. Dree Hemingway: While she might not have racked up as many achievements in 2009 as some of our other model picks, Dree Hemingway is on the list as the biggest up-and-comer. She appeared in the pages of Elle, Vogue, Interview and Purple and walked the runway at Givenchy’s Fall 2009 show. Expect big things from Dree in 2010.