Now that fashion week (read: month) is over and we have had time to digest the slew of street style photographs that appeared, it is time to get back to our regular Fashion Insider coverage. For today’s story, that means exploring the style of Harper’s Bazaar Australia’s fashion editor Christine Centenera, or, according to some, “Australia’s answer to Rachel Zoe.” Accordingly, we’ve collected eight of Christine’s best outfits which we’re sure will give you plenty of inspiration! On that note, we present our latest Fashion Insider story!
1. One thing about Christine is certain: she gives every last outfit a personal and fashion-forward twist. Case in point: in August, Christine was spotted in Sydney wearing a shearling jacket, which she paired with a boxy army-green skirt and colorful heels. When paired together, these on-trend pieces created a fresh and surprising look. Put together a similar ensemble by pairing Nasty Gal’s Shearling Aviator Jacket ($98) with Edun’s Patchwork Miniskirt ($298) and Red Valentino’s Ruffled Jersey Tank ($87.50). Finish with Colin Stuart’s Lace-Back Suede Sandals ($88).
2. Everyone knows that Paris Fashion Week is where the crème de la crème of street style takes place, so we weren’t surprised to see Christine front and center in this edgy rocker-chic ensemble. Her leather Bassike pants and sheer Chloé top are an almost-perfect pair, but it is her Prada necklace that really completes the outfit. Put together a similarly chic look by tucking Equipment’s Sisley Chiffon Signature Blouse ($188) into Urban Outfitters’ Macgregor Leather Pants ($160). Finish with Seychelles’ Woodpecker Pumps ($89.95) and Sparkling Sage’s Crushed Stone Bib Necklace ($158).
3. Sydney might not be well known for its street style, but take one look at its residents and you’ll know it is, in fact, a major player. Example? Behold the chic camel-blazer-and-leather-skirt combo Christine put together last year for Sydney Fashion Week! Simply put, this look is perfectly put together from top to toe. Recreate this look by layering Topshop’s Flannel Oversized Piped Contrast Blazer ($135) over a long-sleeved black top. Then, add Leifsdottir’s Paseo Ruffled Skirt ($224.95) and strappy heels; we like Jimmy Choo’s Adore Sandals ($895) and Via Spiga’s Liberty Pumps ($114.90).
4. One thing Christine is known for—apart from her first-class styling skills, obviously—is her fearless sense of style. In particular, we love this Balmain jacket, which Christine wore to Paris Fashion Week last year. The fur-embellished shoulders are striking and the perfect way to give your outfit a personal twist. Take a page from Christine’s book by pairing SAM’s Jet Set Jacket ($795) or BB Dakota’s Manderson Leather Jacket ($299) with a slouchy white tee and French Connection’s Tiffany Jeans ($138). Finish with Stella McCartney’s Faux Patent Ankle Booties ($236).
5. Forget floral prints, forget tribal patterns. If you want to make a statement à la Christine Centenera, opt for a playful painterly print dress. Just look at the ensemble above, which Christine was spotted in at Paris Fashion Week last year. The simple silhouette is balanced by the bold print, and the chunky wedges add a tough edge. We’re smitten! Take style notes from Christine by trying Armand Basi’s Silk Painted Dress ($267.22) or Ali Ro’s Twilight Grecian Dress ($265). Complete your look with Jeffrey Campbell’s Tick Wedge Booties ($200).
6. Chunky knits and animal accessories are two of fall’s biggest trends, which is why this outfit—which Christine wore at October’s Milan Fashion Week—feels so fresh. We love the way Christine has mixed trends to put together a fashion-forward outfit that is as on-trend as it is original. Pull off an equally chic ensemble by layering LunAlba’s Cashmere Long Back Tee Tunic ($277) or Theory’s Sal B Turtleneck Sweater ($275) over Topshop’s Basic Bodycon Skirt ($24). Finish with Giuseppe Zanotti’s Sculpted Platform Wedge Booties ($1,195) or ASOS’s Tower High Wedge Shoe Boots ($103.44).
7. What do we love most about Christine’s style? The way she elevates every look from ordinary to extraordinary with a few smart styling moves. Her shearling-jacket-and-leather-pants combo, which she wore while out and about in Paris earlier this year, is simple, smart, and sophisticated, all at once. What more could you want? For a similarly neat look, try pairing Rebecca Taylor’s Fab Faux Fur Vest ($395) with Blank Denim’s Leather Skinny Pants ($158). Complete your look with a pair of BCBGeneration’s Lava Lace-Up Ankle Booties ($158.95).
8. Last, but certainly not least, we turn to one of our favorite outfits, which Christine was spotted in at Paris Fashion Week earlier this year. We adore the way Christine gave the military chic trend her own individual spin. Her boxy skirt and fitted jacket bring the military look to life, while her thigh-high leather boots give her look a modern edge. To get a similarly chic look, pair Smythe’s Cadet Jacket ($595) with Velvet’s Brosie Mini Skirt ($ 110.74). Finish off your ensemble with a pair of Colin Stuart’s Over-The-Knee Stiletto Stretch Boots ($69).
Please note that this post may contain one or more sponsored links. If you happen to shop using these links, Mama’s A Rolling Stone will receive a commission from the store.
Images: Street Tonic, Streetpeeper, Stylesightings, Trendy Crew, Vanessa Jackman