If one thing is for sure, it is that music and fashion have always gone hand in hand. Although Almost Famous is a film devoted to the rock & roll lifestyle, from the moment Penny Lane appeared on the screen, the film became a little less about the music and a little more about fashion.
Almost Famous is a coming-of-age film that tells the story of William Miller, a fifteen year old boy determined to become a music journalist. While trying to get into a Black Sabbbath concert, he meets Penny Lane, the leader of the Band-Aides, a group of girls, not groupies, that tour with the band to support the music. William is spellbound by Penny, who quickly becomes the heart and soul of the movie.
The film is set in 1973 and Penny Lane and her fellow Band-Aides are the embodiment of 70s fashion. Who can forget Penny Lane’s iconic coat, made from dark green suede, embroidered and edged with Mongolian fur trim? From Levis to floral peasant tops to Moroccan jewelry, the girls are free spirits who are happy to be on the road, living the hippie lifestyle.
With that in mind, our Film Fashion feature for October is a hip assortment of clothes that have the spirit of Penny Lane in them. From floral prints to faux fur, these pieces will put you on the road with the band.
1. Siesta Cardigan ($42.99) // This crochet cardigan is the perfect piece if you are looking to add a touch of 70s fashion to your closet. Dress it up Penny Lane-style by wearing it with a pair of faded, flared jeans and a fur and suede coat.
2. High Leg Boot ($400) by Peter Jensen // This pair of boots look like they were inspired by Penny Lane herself. The floral print might take us back to 1973 but the over-the-knee look is totally modern and so on trend.
3. Embroidered Fringed Top ($40) // The fashion of the seventies isn’t complete without a good dose of fringe detail. The sheer grey fabric of this top totally pops with its colorful floral embroidery, while the fringe makes it stand out. We can definitely see Penny Lane and her cohorts dancing backstage in this top, with the fringe twirling around them.
4. Pour La Victoire “Eden” Bootie ($168) // These cut-out booties add a touch of leather and lace to your outfit. Worn with a floral skirt or a pair of wide-leg jeans, the cream color adds some extra femininity to your outfit.
5. Faux Fur Hat ($95) by See by Chloe // Even the most chic Band-Aide has to have a bad hair day every now and then. This stylish-yet-ethical faux fur hat is perfect for covering up your carefree locks when they are running wild. Or, just keep it for those cold winter nights when it’s just you and the lead singer.
6. Faux Shearling Crop Bomber Jacket ($98) by Steve Madden // Penny Lane’s iconic suede and fur jacket is the standout piece of the movie. A stylish substitute was hard to find but this cropped jacket with shearling trim is ideal for the coming winter season, especially when worn with knee-high leather boots and vintage Levis.
7. Buttercup Tulips & Ikat Plaid Dress ($420) by Anna Sui // Though Anna Sui is known for her bohemian prints, we love this piece for its mix of plaid with floral. The print is perfect for any Almost Famous-inspired outfit and the long sleeves are an ode to one of the biggest trends this fall/winter season.