Ever since we watched Liv Tyler’s turn in Stealing Beauty as the youthful and innocent Lucy Harmon, we have been enchanted. Not just by Liv, but by the Tuscan countryside and the romantic floral prints that make up the setting.
Stealing Beauty is a coming-of-age film that tells the story of Lucy Harmon, an American teenager who has travelled to Italy for the summer. She stays with family friends, looks for love and becomes determined to learn the intricacies of her mother, who has passed away.
The film is set in the mid-90s and Lucy embodies the early grunge aesthetic. Prepare yourself for floral slip dresses and chunky boots, long hair and androgynous button-down shirts. Lucy is a free spirit who is perfectly at home in this eccentric, bohemian community. With that in mind, we present to you this month’s edition of Film Fashion.
1. Mod Disc Pendant ($370) by Jane Hollinger // Lucy is a delicate young girl in Stealing Beauty and therefore, a delicate piece of jewelry seemed the perfect choice for a girl like her. The super-thin chain and tiny gold disc aren’t overpowering, making them the ideal pick.
2. Daytrip Pinstripe Shirt ($19.76) from Buckle // Lucy’s naivety lends itself to simple, unfussy clothes and this button-down shirt is a great example. This shirt is a closet essential and can be worn with just about everything, from skinny jeans and boots to floaty skirts and sandals.
3. Floral Pleat Skirt ($16.90) from Forever21 // Throughout Stealing Beauty, Lucy takes long walks through the Tuscan countryside, no doubt doing some heavy soul-searching. This printed red skirt is the perfect staple for your summer wardrobe; it is festive and fun and can be dressed up or down, depending on the occasion. Do as Lucy does and pair the shirt with a loose button-down shirt, like the one mentioned above.
4. Canvas Slippy Slip-Ons ($18) from Urban Outfitters // Lucy’s character was prone to heading off for long walks and a pair of slip-on shoes were true to her aesthetic. They were comfortable, simple and totally unfussy, as was Lucy. Wear them with your slip dress for a down-to-earth look.
5. Ditsy Floral Scarf ($9.99) from Tilly’s // The eccentrics that live on the Tuscan farm with Lucy are nearly all artists. For the carefree artist who dabbles with paint and clay, a scarf that will hold back your hair is an essential item. We love this floral version with its shaggy fringe detail and subtle print.
6. MIA Cajun/Tan Combo Huarache Sandal ($39.92) from Lori’s Shoes // We love the simplicity of these slip-on sandals and can definitely see one of the bohemian artists wearing these around the Tuscan countryside. The rainbow leather adds a pop of color without being overly brash and bright.
7. Rhinestone Rose Clip ($5) from Wet Seal // Although it doesn’t quite compare to tucking a real, live flower behind your ear, we are pretty sure this hair clip will suffice. The delicate petals on this clip hark back to Stealing Beauty; Lucy spent hours writing poetry and thinking about those little things in life that inspired her.
8. Bow Print Silk Dress ($458.25) by Marc by Marc Jacobs // The floral slip dress was an absolute staple of the early-nineties and Lucy is no stranger to the look. This blue dress is a great addition to your closet. For a real 90s-inspired look, throw it over a white t-shirt and add chunky lace-up boots.
Please note that this post may contain one or more sponsored links. If you happen to shop using these links, Mama’s A Rolling Stone will receive a commission from the store.