While there are many coming-of-age movies that portray the moodiness of growing up, one of our favorite examples is Sophia Coppola’s The Virgin Suicides. From the hazy lighting to the dark beauty portrayed by the Lisbon sisters, this film certainly evokes a mesmerizing aesthetic.
The story of the Lisbon sisters is told from the perspective of a group of neighborhood boys, who were fascinated by the teenage girls, and are still haunted by their suicides 25 years later. Growing up in the American suburbs in the 70s, the sisters portray a mixture of sweetness and burgeoning sexuality. There is a dream-like atmosphere at all times and the mood is whimsical, to say the least.
Costume designer Nancy Steiner lends to the virginal tone by dressing the girls in long white dresses and nightgowns and keeping their pale faces free of makeup. Although fashion certainly wouldn’t be at the forefront of one’s mind when watching The Virgin Suicides, it’s hard not to notice the layers of eyelet lace, tulle and Liberty prints that are featured throughout.
With that thought in mind, today we have put together a fabulous assortment of pieces, all inspired by The Virgin Suicides. From dusty pinks to hazy grays, these pieces will help you to reinvent the looks of the Lisbons.
1. Floral Bangle Set ($16) // This set of floral bracelets are the perfect way to add a touch of femininity to your outfit. While the Lisbon sisters might use these to cover the bandages on their wrists, we suggest you just use them to accessorize.
2. Tiza Flower Tight ($32) // This pair of tights will add some bold color to any outfit and are perfect for taking the Liberty print into fall, while still channeling the aesthetic of The Virgin Suicides.
3. Chiffon Tiered Dress ($24.99) // When the Lisbon sisters head to their school dance, they are dressed from head-to-toe in the same look, a long, white floral print dress. We can only imagine that the most rebellious of the sisters, Lux, would have loved this pale pink chiffon dress for its subtle yet sexy style.
4. Liberty Print Cord Shorts ($70) // We can totally see the Lisbon sisters lazing on the lawn in the Indian summer, wearing pieces like this amazing pair of Liberty print shorts, while the neighborhood boys spy on them from across the street.
5. Floral Print Scarf ($28) // From curling up on a mess of scarves on their bedroom floor, to throwing them around their necks as they protested the removal of a tree, the Lisbon sisters loved a good oversized scarf and we think this is the perfect piece to take you back.
6. Francesca Top ($119) by Torn by Ronny Kobo // Although we’re sure there was many a girl wearing a similarly skimpy top in the 70s, the Lisbon sisters were certainly not allowed to wear something as brash as this. Give your Lisbon-inspired look a modern touch with this amazing strapless top.
7. Short Floral Dress ($212.50 (50% off!)) by See by Chloe // We can only imagine that when See By Chloe set out to design this dress, they too were channeling The Virgin Suicides. The print is perfectly inspired while the organza inserts add the final feminine touch.