Let’s face it: there are so many stylish models in the fashion industry that it can be hard to keep up, which is just one of the reasons we put together our regular Model Style story. In our latest installment, we are exploring the style of American beauty Britt Marent, who has walked the runways for such heavyweights as Balenciaga, Hermès, Lanvin and Chanel. So, what is it about Britt’s style that makes her so noteworthy? Read on to find out and make sure you take notes as we’re sure you’ll find plenty of inspiration in today’s edition of Model Style!
1. Fact: some of the best model style-spotting is done backstage at shows. Case in point: in September, Britt was spotted backstage at Balmain wearing high-waist tapered trousers, a cropped jacket, and chunky ankle boots. We love the way Britt has used slightly androgynous pieces to create a fashion-forward look—menswear-inspired pieces are a great way to give your outfit a little personality. Ready to try this look? We suggest layering Soia & Kyo’s Charlie Cropped Jacket ($66.99) over a simple black t-shirt, to start. Then, add Topshop’s Paper Bag Waistband Belted Tapered Trousers ($85) and a pair of Luxury Rebel By Jean-Michel Cazabat’s Rihanna Leather Ankle Boots ($102). For a luxe twist, add Alexander Wang’s Darcy Slouchy Hobo ($850).
2. One thing we love about Britt’s style is her consistency—she knows what she likes, she knows what works, and she stays true to that credo. For example, look at the ensemble she put together for Lanvin’s Halloween party last year. While the silhouette of her silk jumpsuit has a measure of the androgynous vibe that Britt loves, she has given her ensemble a girly twist by adding a fun pair of gold pumps and rosy pink lipstick. For a similarly stylish ensemble, start out with a glam jumpsuit such as Tucker’s Cross Front Jumpsuit ($415) or All Saints’s Amata Jumpsuit ($260). Apply the finishing touch to your outfit with DKNY’s Sybill Platform Pumps ($93.60) or Colin Stuart’s Platform Pumps ($49).
3. Changing in and out of designer ensembles is a perk and peril of modeling. Accordingly, we find that most models put together off-duty outfits that are as casual as they are chic. For instance, look at the outfit Britt was spotted wearing last year while out and about during fashion week. Her ensemble—a boyfriend shirt, draped blazer, skinny jeans, and ankle boots—is simple and stylish, the perfect uniform for any off-duty model! To replicate Britt’s ultra-cool look, layer Drew’s Silk Crepe Button Front Blouse ($82.99) under Hinge’s Draped Silk Crop Blazer ($39.97). Throw on a pair of Topshop’s Moto Jamie Ultimate Skinny Jeans ($80) and then finish off with Report Signature’s Norris High Heel Booties ($137.50).
4. Although Britt clearly prefers a great skinny jean or tapered trousers, she looks equally stylish in a slinky maxi dress, as evidenced by the photo above. We particularly love the way Britt has styled her dress—Britt has paired her dress with chunky biker boots and added a long cardigan and an oversized bag. The result? An oh-so chic look that is perfectly at home on the streets of New York, London, Milan or Paris. To assemble an equally stylish ensemble, layer Splendid’s Very Light Jersey Drape Cardigan ($68) over ASOS’s Jersey T-Shirt Maxi Dress ($53.79) or Free People’s Long Crinkle Dress ($98). Then, throw on a pair of Ted Baker’s Neha Metal Trim Low Heel Ankle Boots ($145.23).
5. For our final dose of inspiration from the lovely Britt Maren, we ask you to turn your attention to yet another perfectly put together off-duty outfit—namely, a chambray shirt, a draped cardigan, skinny jeans, and biker boots. We love that Britt has reused some of her favorite pieces to create a fresh new outfit. The lesson here: stock up on separates that you love and you will never run out of outfit inspiration. On that note, you can create a similarly stylish look by starting with the boots and the cardigan from the previous look. Layer Free People’s Riders Chambray Buttondown ($49.95) underneath the cardigan, and then throw on a pair of J Brand’s 10″ Ankle Skinny Jeans ($174).
Please note that this post may contain one or more sponsored links. If you happen to shop using these links, Mama’s A Rolling Stone will receive a commission from the store.
Photos: Altamira, GoRunway.com, Sherly Rabbani & Josephine Solimene, Wayne Tippetts