While many of our fashion features are inspired by celebrity fashionistas or street-style muses, we don’t want to forget the runway looks that usually pioneer the trends that we see on the streets. We are constantly taking inspiration from the catwalks but unfortunately, for most of us, channeling these looks into our closets would require a lot more cash than we have. Enter Runway to Reality, our monthly installment that will have you wearing a runway-inspired outfit at a budget-friendly price. For this month’s edition, we are channeling Louis Vuitton; specifically, their Fall/Winter 2009 collection.
Marc Jacobs, who has been the creative director at Louis Vuitton since 1997, once again brought his talented hand to the LV runway, designing a collection that was inspired by “all those great French muses of the late eighties.” Specifically inspired by Marie Seznec, Victoire de Castellane and Inès de la Fressange, Jacobs’ collection took on bubble skirts, embellished leggings and peplum jackets with a decidedly upscale feel. The color palette was generally neutral, with hints of deep red and sapphire blue.
When it came time to accessorize, Jacobs opted for paper-chain necklaces and ribboned boots that were, at times, topped with ruffles. As always, the bag selection was one of the most inspired elements, with gilded monograms and quilting taking a key role. Of course, bunny ears were an important feature that would soon become very familiar to the fashion world.
Unsurprisingly the show has a cheeky, flirty feel about it and, whether you are inspired to try it or not, the collection will no doubt leave a smile on your face.
1. Bunny Ears Headband ($36) from Topshop // Although donning a pair of bunny ears a la Vuitton is not for the faint of heart, you will be in good company if you give these a try. Madonna, the Olsen twins and Lady Gaga have all given the bunny ear trend a try.
2. Lace Ruffle Push-Up Bra ($7) from Charlotte Russe // Whether you choose to wear this lacy bra from Charlotte Russe underneath a sheer top, or you opt for a more demure, dignified look, you’re sure to feel sexy when you slip it on. If you like the thought of wearing it halfway between self-assured and shy, let the lace trim peek out from underneath a solid top.
3. Metallic Bow Tiered Skirt ($78) by Eight Sixty // It was all in the details at Louis Vuitton’s runway show and that’s why we think this tiered skirt is perfect. The solid navy blue body is set off brilliantly with the oversized, metallic bow and would look perfect when paired with a sheer top and a pair of ankle booties like those at #7.
4. Quilted Miranda ($72) by Big Buddha // If a quilted bag is going to make its way into your closet – and it should – then this is your best bet for a budget-friendly option. While Marc Jacobs sent a selection of bags down the runway, it was his quilted and monogrammed options that had us lustfully looking for an alternative.
5. Silk Ruffle Zip Back Tee ($60) from Topshop // Purveyors of Louis Vuitton’s entire fall/winter collection will have noticed the ruffles and poufs that he sent down the runway on every model. This ruffled tee from Topshop references the Louis Vuitton runway perfectly, especially with its spot-on nude coloring.
6. Seduce-3024 Thigh High Boot ($70.95) by Pleaser // If you have been following the fall/winter trends, you know that the thigh high boot has been one of the most prevalent this season. While we would love to get our hands on a pair of the ribboned Louis Vuitton boots that strutted down the catwalk, we’re happy to settle on these boots by Pleaser. They have a similar lace-up effect and are far more pleasing on the wallet.
7. Women’s Numi Oxford ($124.95) by N.Y.L.A. // Although we are huge fans of the thigh high boots that were seen on the Louis Vuitton runway, we are also largely in favor of his ankle-height styles. As always, the point behind Runway to Reality is to find a budget-friendly alternative and these Oxford boots by N.Y.L.A. are the perfect fit. The ribboned laces are a tribute to Vuitton’s fall/winter aesthetic.
8. Silk Chiffon Mini Dress (€289) by Malene Birger // We’ve left our favorite option until last. This silk chiffon mini dress, with its nude and black tones, is an ideal alternative for those looking to channel some Vuitton into their daily lives. The Peter Pan collar adds a little extra flair while the longer sleeves make this a dress that can be worn year round.
Please note that this post may contain one or more sponsored links. If you happen to shop using these links, Mama’s A Rolling Stone will receive a commission from the store.