For the last few seasons, Alexander Wang has had girls all around the world buzzing over his creations. For his Spring 2010 collection, Wang created a collection that paid homage to all-American sportswear, combining several athletic elements into a collection that would awe the audience and spur a spring trend.
The sportier elements of the collection included soccer-inspired knee-high socks and brawny-shouldered sweaters that were instantly reminiscent of a football player. However, the collection wasn’t totally lacking in femininity, with lace skirts and leopard-print wedges adding a flirty touch.
As always, our Runway To Reality feature is designed with one objective in mind: to help you create a runway-inspired outfit at a wallet-friendly price. For that reason, Alexander Wang’s Spring 2010 collection seemed like an obvious choice for our February installment. After all, wasn’t his one of the most buzzed-about collections in September?
1. Looped Biker Jacket ($290.50) by Preen Line // This draped vest is the perfect layering piece; throw it over your oversized leather shorts or your lace bubble skirt for the ultimate Wang-inspired look. If you want to go all-out, wear it with a sports bra underneath and leave it open at the front.
2. Drew Short ($188) by Genetic Denim // Whether they were paired with cropped sweaters or boxy shoulders, the oversized leather shorts at Alexander Wang were a definite highlight. These black leather shorts will give you a similar look and add a rough-and-ready feeling to your outfit.
3. Jackpot Lace Up Shoetie ($44.07) by Unlisted // If you’re going to fully channel Alexander Wang’s spring collection, you’ll need a pair of peep-toed booties to complete your look. This black lace-up pair is a great option for the warmer months and will complement almost anything in your closet.
4. Dimension Striped Top ($14.80) from Forever21 // If you plan to start channeling Alexander Wang this spring, a striped top is a great way to start off your collection. The stripes add the sportswear element that you need, while still keeping your outfit lighthearted and fun, which is a must.
5. Knitted Curved Crop Jumper ($60) from Topshop // Observers of Alexander Wang’s spring collection will have realized that a cropped knit sweater is an absolute must-have for spring. The knit fabric on this sweater will keep you cozy while the cropped shape will add a hint of sexiness to your outfit.
6. Unisex Solid Knee-High Sock ($10) from American Apparel // Knee-high socks were an integral part of the sporty-chic aesthetic at Alexander Wang and should be an essential part of your Wang-inspired closet. Usually in fashion these would be considered slightly school-girlish but when worn right, the outfit comes straight from the soccer field.
7. Premium Quilted Shorts ($65) from Topshop // It is all about the detail when it comes to these quilted shorts. The quilted fabric adds the sporty-chic element to the look, while the simple black fabric and high-waisted fit keep the shorts classic and simple.
8. Lace Bubble Skirt ($19.99) from Arden B // Although Alexander Wang’s spring collection contained many tough, robust elements, it wasn’t entirely devoid of its feminine side. This black lace skirt is a great option if you want to add something a little flirty; the bubble shape sticks to the original aesthetic, while the black lace adds a playful touch.
Please note that this post may contain one or more sponsored links. If you happen to shop using these links, Mama’s A Rolling Stone will receive a commission from the store.