For our January installment of Runway to Reality – the story that helps you create a runway-inspired outfit at a budget-friendly price – we are looking at New York’s Proenza Schouler; specifically, their scuba-infused Spring 2010 collection. After all, there’s nothing like looking ahead to spring to feel warm on the inside.
Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez, who founded Proenza Schouler in 2002, looked to their youth when designing their spring collection. “We wanted something young, something that felt fresh, so we looked to surfing and skating, the things we grew up on,” they said.
Their approach paid off. The spring collection was laid-back, effortless and cool, without looking shabby. They singlehandedly brought tie dye prints back for spring, while their colorblock wedged-heel sandals will be a mainstay this season. Whether you are inspired to try this collection or not, it is sure to bring you back to your fashionable youth.
1. Tie-Dye V-Neck Dress ($435) by Willow // While it is not as budget-friendly as we would like, the gorgeous print was too hard to pass up. The draped cut of this dress will flatter your figure while the tie dyed print is more luxe than hippie.
2. Angelina Gladiator Pump ($114.92) by Rough Justice // Whether they were paired with harem pants or a sequined skirt, the colorblock heels at Proenza Schouler were a highlight. These black and red gladiator pumps will give you the same two-tone effect and add some tough leather to your look.
3. Hurley Ezra Watercolor Swimwear Bottom ($31.50) from Buckle // If you’re going to channel a surf-inspired collection, you may as well head to the beach; that was our thinking when we chose this painted swimwear bottom, with its summery colors and fresh print.
4. Dot Explosion Scarf ($29.50) from The Limited // If you plan to start channeling Proenza Schouler earlier than spring, this lightweight scarf is an absolute must-have for your closet. The aquatic palette is sure to leave you with a yearning for spring.
5. Cameo Sunglasses ($119) by Smith Optics // Purveyors of Proenza Schouler’s spring collection will have realized that a pair of wraparound sunglasses are must-haves. These ‘red pearl’ sunglasses are the perfect option: dark, mysterious and oh-so-cool.
6. Harlequin Sequin Mini Skirt ($186.97) by French Connection // Sequins have been a huge trend recently and if Proenza Schouler has anything to do with it, the trend will outlive fall and make its way through spring. While we’d love to get our hands on the green fringed number that Proenza Schouler sent down the catwalk, this printed version is sure to satisfy.
7. Wrap Front Harem Trousers ($65) from Topshop // The harem pant was another huge trend that looks set to continue through 2010. This black version has the same laidback, draped cut that Proenza Schouler were inspired by and would look perfect when paired with the heels at #2.
8. Daytrip Tie Dye Flyaway Cardigan ($28) from Buckle // The slouched style of this cardigan is the perfect ode to the laidback look of Proenza Schouler’s spring collection. The ocean green tie-dye print adds a little extra freshness while the longer sleeves and open front make this the perfect layering piece.
Please note that this post may contain one or more sponsored links. If you happen to shop using these links, Mama’s A Rolling Stone will receive a commission from the store.