If you haven’t already noticed, I am a huge fan of music festivals and the fashion inspiration that they bring to the table. Lollapalooza fashion is no exception and in 2009, it seems that embellishments were key, with feathers, sequins and tulle all playing their part.
This group of street-wise fashionistas, including Jessica Szohr from Gossip Girl, know that comfort is a crucial factor when heading to a festival. Aside from the possibility of inclement weather or spilt beer, any music festival is a long day that requires a clever mix of sense and stylish sensibilities when selecting your outfit of choice.
Ready for a festival fashion master class? August’s Street Chic is all over it – whether it’s an on-trend bodysuit to a fedora hat, these girls will show you how it’s done.
CLOCKWISE FROM TOP LEFT:
1. This girl sums up our “chic but comfortable” festival-style mantra perfectly. Pairing a loose, white cotton tunic top with sturdy boots will prepare you for a long day on your feet, yet keep you feeling cool when the sun is at its hottest. You can recreate this look by picking up Rebecca Taylor’s Bow Front Tunic ($195) and adding these Harley Davidson Big Sur Boots ($139.95). To add the final touch, add a necklace like this Ben-Amun Gold Coin Triple Layered Necklace ($231).
2. We’ve already blogged about the necessity of buying a bodysuit this summer and this girl shows us why we’re smitten with the trend. Perfect for a day out, a pair of cuffed denim shorts and a bodysuit will leave you looking effortlessly chic. Steal this look by pairing Forever21’s Zipper Front SS Bodysuit ($13.80) with the Free Heart Shorts ($44.50) from Roxy. As these girls prove, a hat is a festival must- have and this Bop Basics Open Weave Fedora ($65) is ideal.
3. If you follow Jessica Szohr’s style (either on Gossip Girl or in real life) you’ll know that she loves her skinny jeans, fedoras and loose-fit tops, so it’s no surprise that her festival style is similarly put together. Make this look your own by pairing these “Thallium” Skinny Jeans from CK JEANS ($49.50) with a bandeau top like the Lace Bandeau ($28) from Free People. Obviously, Jessica knows the benefit of a good pair of boots. You can grab a similar pair with Café’Noir Boots ($109) from Yoox.
4. No festival is complete without a modern take on hippie fashion and this girl has the style down pat. Luckily, she pulls it off without looking like she had to try. Snag the same natural look by trying this Tarina Tarantino Feathered Headdress ($264) or this Chain Silk Cord Braided Feathers Headband ($70). Pair it with the Minkpink “Racey Lacey” Tee ($44) from Revolve Clothing and this Blu Bijoux Turquoise Flower Pendant Necklace ($35) from Max&Chloe.
5. If you’re going to spend the day among people of every ilk, it’s always good to have a little fun with your outfit. Follow the lead of this girl and make a music festival your fashion playground. Ready to make life more enjoyable? Try this Tutu Stud Dress ($125) from Topshop with a pair of Dolce Vita “Elton” Lace-Up Ankle Boots ($170). We also recommend that you grab yourself a Back to Black Layered Cross Necklace ($32) from Guess to recreate this entire look.
6. While Kesha has the comfort factor down with a pair of loose-fit jeans, simple sandals and a hat, she has managed to brighten up her outfit with a sequin top – a quick way to add a little flashiness without going overboard. Get this look by pairing this Shyde Black/Gold Sequin Tunic ($205) from LuvCharlie with the Kors by Michael Kors Needy Flat Sandals ($112.50). Add a healthy dose of biker chic by trying this Dilox Fringe Bag ($89.98) from Aldo.