With the weather we’ve been having on the east coast lately, it’s hard to believe we’re only in the first throes of fall/winter, yet it’s true. If you spent the weekend burrowing in the depths of your closet, trying to find your oversized faux fur coats and knit ponchos, this month’s Street Chic is for you.
At Mama’s A Rolling Stone, we always love to take style cues from celebrities but there is something a little more realistic about taking inspiration from the unknown faces of the fashion world. Many celebrities are meticulously styled down to the last button while our non-celeb muses have that sought-after skill of mixing and matching that only a few can master. Not to mention the fact that most celebrities have a budget within another realm.
With such an abundance of street-style blogs on the internet, there’s no shortage of inspiration for fall/winter. October’s Street Chic is loaded up with coats and cardigans to get you through to spring.
CLOCKWISE FROM TOP LEFT:
1. This girl has managed to throw together a series of fall essentials, from her chunky knit cardigan to her knotted scarf, to create a look that is comfortable and warm without weighing her down. You can recreate this look by picking up Silence & Noise’s Stitch Detail Cocoon Cardigan ($48) in cream and adding Steve Madden’s Tyller Boots ($79.90) in natural suede. Adding a pair of Free People’s Outlaw Boot Straps ($48) will give you the chain effect on your slouchy boots, while Deepa Gurnani’s Fringe Oblong Scarf ($106) adds extra warmth to the outfit.
2. If the last few days were any indication, we won’t be baring our legs again this year, but if we do, we’ll be channeling this girl’s look. Perfect for anyone who is experiencing a lingering summer, the scarf is clearly the focal point of this outfit. Steal this look by pairing Charlotte Russe’s Belted Zipper Dress ($26.99) with DKNY’s Ruffle Scarf ($125) in pale grey. Complete the look by adding a pair of Restricted’s Carmen Wedge Lace Up Booties ($99.95), also in grey, and a pair of Wayfarer Sunglasses ($109) by Ray-Ban.
3. We always love a girl who isn’t afraid to wear color and this girl definitely has the courage to stand out in the crowd! Topshop have two coats that will help you to make this look your own. For a colorful take, try their Boxy Faux Fur Chubby Coat ($170) in bright yellow. If you love the thought of trying a multi-toned look, but you can’t bring yourself to do brights, their Eighties Style Faux Fur Coat ($190) is ideal. Pair either of these coats with a brightly colored dress, like AKA New York’s Wrap Dress ($298).
4. Our Street Chic selections wouldn’t be complete without a girl who manages to make an all-black outfit (bar her green sock and brown bag) look totally fresh and fun. An all-black outfit is always a great fallback look but it can be hard to make it pop, so new inspiration is key! Pinch this look by wearing Topshop’s Hooded Parka Jacket ($110) with Jeffrey Campbell’s Acme Lace Up Boots ($190) and BDG’s Ribbed Slouchy Beanie ($28).
5. As we move into winter, faux fur coats are proving to be a huge trend and fortunately, they are versatile enough to be worn day and night. Ready to try this look? Juicy Couture’s Faux Fur Cropped Easy Coat ($128) is ideal paired with Chinese Laundry’s Sarah Bow Clutch ($41). The look won’t be complete without a great pair of shoes. Pelle Moda’s Tammie Lace Up Suede Booties ($195) and Wet Seal’s Lace Up Sling Back Heel ($15) are two great options.
6. As the 90s grunge look comes to the forefront of fashion again, a pair of Doc Martens is the perfect fall footwear. Get this look by layering a gauzy, white dress with this Silence & Noise Pieced Shoulder Shrunken Blazer ($88). Add a pair of Dr. Martens 1460 ($119.95) to trek around town. Lucky Brand’s Oversize Satchel Bag ($249) is the perfect way to complete your look.