While we are huge proponents of grunge and bohemian-luxe styling, there is no doubt that adding a touch of city glamour to your closet will leave you feeling classy and chic on every occasion.
From a classic trench coat to a statement necklace, the city glamour look is easier to incorporate into your closet than one may think. When we sat down to write this story, a few stylish muses were instantly called to mind, from French Vogue editor Carine Roitfeld, who evokes Parisian chic with every outfit, to Olivia Palermo, co-star on MTV’s The City, whose outfits suggest a style beyond her years.
Although both Carine and Olivia look glamorous and effortless at all times, it might surprise you to know that they aren’t spending huge dollars on every outfit. In fact, Olivia is known for creating ensembles that incorporate both high and low pieces.
So how do you get the city glamour look for less? An important aspect of city glamour styling is to stick to one statement or stand-out piece and work the outfit around that. With that in mind, you’re all set to invoke the look into your closet.
While we used Carine and Olivia as our inspiration for Top Buys: City Glamour, we know that if you head out into any city, you’ll see more than one girl making her glamorous way through the city. With that, we hope you enjoy our story.
1. Brooklyn Sequin Caged Platform Sandals ($390.94) by Fashionistas // Although there are several elements to every outfit, if you’re looking to perfect the city glamour look in one fell swoop, these platform sandals are ideal and will add some instant confidence and glamour to your outfit. A heeled shoe is a key part of the city glamour look and these sandals certainly have height. Another bonus? We love the caged look, as does Carine, so wear these with the confidence of the French editor and you should go far.
2. Bronze Cotton Canvas Liz Belted Trenchcoat ($89.24) by Via Spiga // The trench coat is the ultimate city glamour piece and is an absolute must-have for every girls closet. This trench coat by Via Spiga is immediately alluring, due to its bronze fabric, yet elegant and stylish at every turn and is perfect for your winter closet.
3. Sequin Detail Waist Belt ($50) from Topshop // This sequined belt is a stand-out piece on its own, therefore making it ideal for the girl who wants to start to slowly incorporate a more refined, elegant look into her closet. The burgundy sequins add a touch of color without going overboard. This belt would look amazing when paired with a simple, little black dress or over a similarly-stylish skirt-and-top combo.
4. Black Metal Studded & Beaded Fabric Bib Necklace ($54.39, reduced from $67.99) from ASOS // A necklace like this needs no introduction. Similarly, a necklace like this is designed to be the center of your outfit. Olivia Palermo, one of our stylish sources of inspiration for this story, is known for wearing oversized, statement necklaces with any and every outfit – from a simple black sweater and skirt combo to a pair of shorts and a button-down shirt in summer.
5. Cropped Metallic Leather Jacket ($69, reduced from $99) from Newport News // While we love the trench coat above for glamorous outerwear, this bomber-style jacket is the ideal piece for your nighttime look. The metallic fabric will steal the show so dress it down with a solid bandage dress or a simple tee-and-jean for all the glamour you need.
6. Disc Embellished Hotpants ($90) from Topshop // When it comes to finding the perfect pair of shorts for a city glamour look, you need to keep your look clean-cut. This pair of shorts from Topshop is perfect. The dark denim adds a classy-yet-casual look to your outfit, while the sequin detail around the pockets adds some shine. Worn with a simple black sweater and pumps, you’ll look classic, with a little edge.
7. Leaf Sequin Dress ($170) from Topshop // Another essential to your city glamour closet is a little black dress and we think that this short sleeved, sequined dress from Topshop is perfect. The pleats are classic and chic while the leaf embroidery will add some extra detail to catch the eye. The reason the little black dress is such an important part of every closet is its versatility and subsequently, we’re sure this dress will become your go-to item for every occasion.
8. Midnight Blizzard Sweater ($39.99) from ModCloth // Although a sweater doesn’t sound that glamorous, when done right, a knit top can make your look. Taking inspiration from Olivia, we would pair this sequined sweater with a pair of skinny leather pants and a round-toed pump. A black headband would be perfect as a finishing touch.
9. Michelle Gold ($124) by Jeffrey Campbell // As we mentioned earlier, a heeled shoe is crucial to the city glamour look. If you’re after a flirtier, feminine look, this gold heel by Jeffrey Campbell is ideal. The high, leather ruffles will add a flirtatious element to your look, while the gold metallic fabric keeps the outfit looking soft. This shoe would look great with a skinny jean and a sequined top but would also pair perfectly with a summer dress.
10. Sequin Mini Skirt ($250) by A Common Thread // When you’re evoking the city glamour look into your style, it is important to keep everything refined, classic and chic. Though you can still incorporate a mini skirt into your closet, it is important to find one that isn’t too tight or too short. This mini skirt by A Common Thread checks all the right boxes. Pair it with a simple black top, a trench coat and ankle booties for a Carine-inspired look.
Please note that this post may contain one or more sponsored links. If you happen to shop using these links, Mama’s A Rolling Stone will receive a commission from the store.